Saturday, August 29, 2009

Reflection 2

“One day the world will flash before your eyes. Make sure the world is watching.” –Anonymous Life is as they say is full of choices, situations we must overcome, and things we must accept. In living we begin to grow and each moment in our lives is another opportunity. As an individual, we find ourselves constantly changing. The two articles are full of values we all know we should have. However, upon reading this I realized how much I really do need these values. A blinding flash of insight, the article made me look into myself and my past experiences. In my life, there have been many eye opening experiences which have led me to grow up much faster than usual. I do not regret any of these experiences because it has made me who I am today and I now have a deeper appreciation for what I have. On a daily basis, many people go through changes. Whether it varies from hairstyles, to fashion trends, to having an epiphany, people are constantly moving forward because there should be no regression only progression. The articles make me want to take a stand against biases because it opens your eyes to the tragedies these unfortunates go through and helps me empathize with them. The subject of homosexuality touches me specifically because so many of those I care about are homosexuals. It angers me to know they have been given fewer rights than any other human merely because of their sexuality. My best friend is a homosexual. It sickens me to know that he and his significant other will not have the same rights as married couples do even though they consider themselves a married couple. We as a society need to stop holding on to values that no longer make sense. Every era we have always found a select group of people to use as our “whipping boy.” The blacks, the Jews, the Muslims, the Christians all have been subjected to our taunts and tortures. Now we have come to the realization that racism is wrong and tolerance is needed. However we have still managed to find another outlet for our hate. It is important to be adaptable for times are constantly changing and we must change with it in order to reach our full potential as humans. There are those who live with regrets and never come to term with who they are and what they can accomplish, they live their lives in the dark approaching dead ends and boxing themselves into their ignorance. This is how they live and this is how they will die, I wish to go beyond that. When I am within my last moments and taking my last breaths I wish to have that peace of mind that comes with the knowledge that I may not have been perfect but I have tried and lived with open eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment