Sunday, September 6, 2009

Relfection 3

A paradigm is an example of how something should be, based on the person’s point of view. Describing the perfect woman/man, explaining what a role model should be like, living your life based on your religious beliefs these are all examples of where a person’s point of view comes into play. As a child I grew up in a catholic environment. From kindergarten to third grade I went to a catholic nun school. Every Friday was confession and in the afternoon we had mass followed by rosary prayer. Every Sunday I attended church and received the body of Christ. As a baby I was baptized and by the age of nine I had done my communion. To me this was the right way to live by and I had never given it a second thought. In the summer of my ninth year, we moved to Florida and I was enrolled in public school. The environment was so different. The school did not revolve around God or prayer. As I continued to grow, I began to follow the Christian religion rather than the Catholics. There were some similarities however different. Now I do not consider myself a certain religion. I do believe in a higher power called God but I am open minded to learning other religions. This change is considered a paradigm shift. Paradigm shifts allows people to develop and to open their eyes to different ideas, beliefs and facts. I believe it is important teachers experience paradigm shifts. This is helpful for teachers to respond without being biased in different situations. In order to educate, one should be open minded to all situations and to change. As a society it is imperative that we continue to move forward in all aspects and become well rounded. Without tolerance and an open mind nature nations would regress, wither, and die. New grander empires take their place but the cycle will continue to repeat itself unless we allow paradigm shifts, for times are always changing and we must change with them. Imagine if science would not have evolved. Our lives would have remained primitive. Without innovative open minds we would not be where we are today. Without a sense of curiosity paradigm shifts would never occur in the medical field and we would have been stuck to myths or home remedies to try and cure people. Paradigm shifts are detrimental to our well being. It would be advisable to allow ourselves and our ideals to shift.

No comments:

Post a Comment