Thursday, October 15, 2009

Reflection 11

I think beliefs, values, and attitudes are all important because they all are connected in a way. When someone holds values it is a belief that they hold dearly to them. Attitudes are the actual actions a person does in dealing with their belief. In the article there is a story of a girl who did not attend high school and therefore feels as if the other college students have an advantage over her. This girls however studies six hours every day including weekends and works extremely hard. Her dedication pays off because she is an excellent student. Although this seems like a good thing I feel this is more an obsessed attitude and belief. This young lady will always feel inadequate and feels as if she will fail if she does not continue to study as hard as she does. Sometimes the beliefs we hold can be negative and can affect others. There are some people who will just not accept certain people because of their color or religion. They hold strong beliefs against these people. It is important how to deal with people like this because what happens if there is a student in the classroom who cannot be in the same classroom as a black kid, or a Hispanic kid? This can be detrimental to the entire class because it will cause a negative surrounding and make the students feel uncomfortable. Some attitudes can be triggered by certain emotions they may feel based on their beliefs. This can lead to ganging up on a certain student name calling and physical abuse. I don’t want to say it is the parents fault but most of the time the parents play a huge role with their children having such values. If a parent teaches their children from an early age certain beliefs and with these beliefs and values come fear, the chances of those children turning out to be just like them are very likely. As a child I was always told if I disrespected my parents I would go straight to hell. I know it sounds funny but even now that I am an adult whenever I raise my voice at my parents I suddenly stop because I remember what I was told as a child. However negative, this can have positive outcome. Some parents teach their children positive values which can sometimes rub off onto other people. If a person is willing to change their attitude for the better, this will result in the beginning of multicultural awareness. As a teacher it is important to try and guide the students down the better road in order to have a successful classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment